* Requisition no: 502376
* Work type: Full Time
* Location: Morningside
* School/Department: Center for Teaching and Learning
* Grade: Grade 11
* Categories: Other
Under the supervision of the Associate Director for Software Development, the incumbent assists in designing, developing, and implementing software applications with an emphasis on rich client web-based applications to support to the efforts of the Columbia Center for Teaching and Learning.
* Assists in designing, developing and implementing complex software applications with an emphasis on rich client web-based applications to support faculty proposals and grants in their effort to improve student learning. Custom software can include, but is not limited to, simulations, visualizations, and case studies. Writes software using industry standard frameworks, primarily in Python, and follows code reviews practices, including departmental procedures for releasing or updating software.
* In collaboration with developer team, maintains and improves upon existing server infrastructure with specific emphasis on cloud-based solutions such as AWS; participates in planning and implementing upgrades and new software installations; and performs research, testing, and evaluation of potential new servers and software ensuring data security and identity management.
* Writes and reviews a variety of technical documents including specifications, scope documents, user documentation, and configuration documents for internal and external use. Gathers and documents project requirements from clients.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent in experience.
* 2-4 years of related experience.
* Comfortable with full-stack development and unit testing.
* Strong Object-Oriented programming background.
* Strong database skills; Excellent UNIX skills, including system administration, DevOps and cloud services.
* Ability to present and teach courses in related topics.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Good understanding of code versioning tools such as Git.
* Experience gathering project requirements.
* Familiarity with AWS, Design Patterns, Unit Testing, and Open Source software.
* Experience developing enterprise-class web applications.
* Understanding of one or more of the following: web-based media, mobile development, data visualizations and/or GIS.
* Ability to present and lead workshops in related topics.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Applications open: Aug 15 2019 Eastern Daylight Time Applications close:
Back Apply Share
Associated topics: algorithm, application, back end, c#, develop, matlab, sde, sdet, software developer, software programmer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...