As part of our creative team, you'll bring our iconic brands to life for the world. From apparel designer to copywriter to site designer and beyond, Macy's is your destination for creative opportunities.
The Designer is responsible for creating designs exclusively for Private Brands and develops trend strategies that support merchant objectives and the Macy's brand. Responsible for the design, development, selection and approval of materials, trims, silhouettes, colors and patterns for area of responsibility. This position will support the Design Director/VP in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to leverage technical expertise to identify opportunities and develop an assortment. A fundamental requirement is to be able to build trust with their teams and key collaborators.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Designer will be known as a trusted, collaborative and results-oriented leader, business partner and change agent who can lead through influence and who possesses professional maturity and industry credibility. The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable and effective leading through significant complexity. Candidates must be comfortable with quickly evaluating and sun-setting legacy approaches that no longer align to the strategy. The ideal candidate will be known for both vision and an equally strong orientation for speed.
The successful candidate will:
* Make \"company first\" decisions * Ability to influence partners * Actively influence market to drive business * Develop self by participating in ongoing professional development and training * Seek out innovative solutions to existing customer and/or Company challenges * Communicate with candor and value open debate to ensure the best ideas come to life
Assortment Vision, Strategy & Selection
* Develop and execute product designs that achieve overall product strategy and merchandise objectives. * Interpret seasonal fashion direction, assortment opportunities and merchandise trends for area of responsibility. * Participate in research and development of seasonal trends. * Produce cohesive product presentations, including boards, tear sheets and samples to help sell concepts to merchants. * Prepare line and presentation material for line previews and buy meetings including color boards, concept boards, print and story boards. * Ensure designs meet merchant line plans, assortment strategies and overall creative direction. * Shop the retail trend market seeking design inspiration (materials, fashion, color, trade shows) as needed. * Interpret specific color palettes, patterns and prints for the season * Select and approves style, materials, trims and colors that fit into the program and style plans. * Responsible for creating and distributing fabric development packages. * Develop flat mechanical sketches for design development packages and request development samples. * Responsible for tracking and approving labs dips, fabric samples, strike-offs and other development materials. * Compile design development packages and distribute to technical design and over for sampling. * Review development samples.
* Decide on in-season Design changes to make for the department and vendors based on sales, margin and turn forecast in partnership with Product Development and Buying Team. * Participate in strategic meetings with recommended assortments (Key Resources, Design, Team Management). * Modify the product line based on Product Development Team and customer input. * Assist in identifying the key programs that comprise each classification. * Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendar for area of responsibility.
Relationship Building with Overseas/Domestic Vendors, Marketing, Product Integrity, & Technical Design
* Maintain an industry presence that allows for connections, new business opportunities and ideas at Macy's. Represent and support the Macy's brand while maintaining this presence and building relationships. * Maintain relationships with technical designers, merchants and divisions to exchange ideas, leverage expertise and streamline the process. * First point of contact with Vendor Community(Overseas/Domestic). * Partner with Product Manager in set-up and presenting to customers at line reviews and buy meetings for area of responsibility. * Communicate regularly with product management to gather input and share line development direction. * Communicate on a daily basis with overseas offices to share line development direction. * Select and approve materials, patterns and colors. * Use CAD programs for style, color and pattern development. * Attend fit sessions to review and approve counter samples for design silhouette. * Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
* Bachelor's Degree in Design or Fine Arts. * Ideally, 4-plus years of industry experience. * Proven design expertise in a given category. * Able to develop, plan, present given category of business. * Understands competitive marketplace and pursues white space opportunities that align with North Star Strategy. * Competitive shop and determine action necessary to address competitive challenges.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence.
* Self-starter, can work independently with minimal supervision.
* Strong color sense / print sense. * Ability to view and differentiate the color spectrum. * Working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, and PLM. * Identify any product opportunities and provide suggestions. * Ability to prioritize and manage workload with multiple deadlines.
* Developing and coaching Design Assistants/Associate Designers. * Inspires, motivates, and influences the behavior of others to drive high performance. * Engages team to examine current practices and encourages creative thinking about how things could be more effective and efficient. * Asserts own ideas and persuades others in a clear, confident, and composed manner. Tailors message for the audience and is able to gain support and commitment from others. * Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk taking regardless of outcome. * Collaborative, consultative style with a strong ability to establish trust and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization. * Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity. * Embraces change with realistic optimism and persists through challenges and setbacks caused by change.
* Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy's Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.